We follow a 6 step troubleshooting process
...and so does Microsoft, Cisco, US Navy. We develop many custom telecom solutions for large and small businesses, and government agencies. Many systems use parts from multiple vendors with each vendor connecting to another vendor. Thus, we have adopted this repair process to maintain our mission of “Perfect Installs, Uncommon Reliability”
- Changed – What systems changed and when. What exactly are you experiencing? Use the principal of Occam’s Razor.
- Clarify – Witness issue first hand. Be a “Fair witness.” Document the system in words or diagram.
- List – List probable faults and agree what is not the problem. Divide and conquer.
*** EVERYONE MUST AGREE UPON THE ABOVE BEFORE TAKING ACTION ***
- Localize – Eliminate from the above list.
- Fix it – Get it running. Yet, it’s not fixed for good.
- Failure analysis – Fix for good by finding and correcting the root cause to the failures. We replaced the blown fuse but why did it blow in the first place?